Monday, July 5, 2010

Super Summer Salad Dressing

Since it's summer, here in the super-crazy-beastly hot Valley of the Sun, I aim to make cool foods. (Also because my ridiculous gas oven pours heat out as if it were trying to boil me alive in my own house--and this before I even open the oven door.) Tonight, I decided to try a dressing recipe from a Taste of Home cookbook (always fantastic) that I got from my Grandma Harder for Christmas. If you are not familiar with Taste of Home, get familiar. I love these cookbooks.

Pretty much all of the salad dressings I prefer are mayonnaise-based. I have a GIANT ranch tooth and when I want to pretend I'm eating healthy, I have a salad with fruit on it and poppy seed dressing. (I'm not a big oil and vinegar type fan.) However, today, I discovered that there actually are some healthier, yummier salad dressings out there :-) This dressing made me eat more salad for dessert. Try it out!

[I'm writing this recipe as I made it, with other possible options.]

Stawberry Salad Dressing with Spinach Salad

6-8 large frozen strawberries, thawed
1/4 c. water
1 1/2 T. apple cider vinegar (or other sweet/mild vinegar)
1 T. honey
1 t. vegetable oil
1/2 t. soy sauce
1/8 t. salt
1/8 t. dried thyme or 1/4 t. fresh thyme
1/8 t. pepper
1 bunch spinach or lettuce, chopped
1/3 c. sunflower seeds (or other chopped/roasted nuts)
1/2 c. dried cranberries (or other dried or fresh fruit)
Blend first 9 ingredients in blender or food processor until smooth. Combine salad ingredients and serve with dressing.

Yield: approx. 1 1/2 c. dressing

(By the way, you should also try this Rhubarb Cake with Vanilla Sauce recipe, that I made with rhubarb Grandma sent me :-))

No comments:

Post a Comment