Monday, July 6, 2009

I love it when that happens!


Today, as I was making supper in a hurry, the thought occurred to me, "Why did I make something called "Lemon Pasta and Chicken" when I know I don't like lemon in things like this?? But, it was too late, the groceries were purchased, the pasta was in the pot, and the chicken was in the oven. My general policy is to NOT make food I don't like (which is why Ben doesn't get food with mushrooms, shrimp, etc, unless he makes them himself). However, this time, one key ingredient allowed me to overlook the offending lemon. The full title of the recipe is "Lemon Cream Pasta with Chicken." Key word? Cream. :-) As I was making the dish and tasting it along the way, as is my practice :-), I kept being underwhelmed with it. But, the key ingredient was the last thing added, and it made all the difference in the world. Give it a shot, I highly recommend this one :-)

Lemon Cream Pasta with Chicken


3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 lemon, quartered
2 t. garlic powder, divided
1 t. black pepper, divided
4 c. chicken broth
1/4 c. fresh lemon juice
8 oz. uncooked, whole wheat rotelle pasta
1 c. heavy cream
1 T. fresh dill, chopped

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place chicken in a lightly greased baking dish. Squeeze lemon over both sides of the chicken breasts and season both sides using 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder and 3/4 teaspoon pepper. Bake for 40 minutes, or until juices run clear and chicken is no longer pink inside.
  2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, season the chicken broth with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil and add lemon juice and pasta. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until all liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes.
  3. Cut cooked chicken into bite-sized pieces and stir into cooked pasta, along with the cream and dill. Cook, stirring, over low heat for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes. Stir thoroughly before serving.

NOTE: This is the recipe, as I made it today. There are a few minor changes I made, compared to the original. See the link above for the original.

Added bonus: I had been making my favorite cucumber salad to go with this dish and had a big bunch of dill out that Grandma sent home with me. On a whim, I figured that a little dill couldn't hurt this pasta dish either (it wasn't written in the original recipe), and it was wonderful! Yay for Grandma's dill!

No comments:

Post a Comment