Sunday, July 19, 2009

Un. Believable.


This is easily the most unbelievable thing I have seen in the last 2 months. I would say longer, but I work with children on a regular basis :-) . This morning at church, I was uncovering what I like to refer to as "my piano" (our fancy-pants grand piano) in the sanctuary. I pulled off the cover and threw it behind the stage (a 10 sq ft area). Upon returning to the piano, I noticed little white hairs all over it. Having seen the same thing covering my house after just bathing our white dog, my first thought was, "How in the world did dog hair get on the piano? I know my dog has not been anywhere near it..." I said this out loud and began blowing the hair off the piano.

As I was commenting on the hair, I raised the piano lid onto the small post, about 6-8 inches up. At this point, one of the worship team members says, (and you must imagine this with the most uninspired tone of voice you can imagine,) "There's a cat in the piano." This did not compute, so I said "What?" He says, in the same tone of voice, "There's a cat in the piano." So, as I'm standing at the back side of the piano (the hinged side) I start looking for the stuffed cat that is giving off this annoying white fur. Just as I'm about to start doing so, I hear a small volley of dull thuds inside the piano, and at that second, a (LIVE) cat streaks out of the front of the piano, and disappears either behind the stage or into the sanctuary. At least 5-7 people saw this happen, but no one could find it afterwards.

Then we started to compare notes to figure out when the piano was last used, and near as we could tell, it had to have been last Sunday, when I played postlude, closed the piano and put the cover on it. Now, I'm fairly certain there are no large holes on the bottom of a grand piano that a cat could get into, but if this is the case, it has to follow that the cat had been in there for a week, which doesn't make any sense, but what else could have happened? Thankfully, the cat didn't die in there, which would have been disastrous for a piano that is $7,000 nicer than mine! I just can not get over this story. Un. Believable. This will probably top my story list at least until I get back to school :-)

1 comment:

  1. Wow. That's pretty incredible. I took a look at the baby grand outside our apartment and I really don't see how anything could get into a covered piano.

    Perhaps it was a ghost cat?

    ReplyDelete