Monday, May 31, 2010

Doesn't Bacon Make Everyone Happy?


On Wednesday evening, my husband called from his afternoon meeting and explained that he was bringing home his meeting-mates for dinner and that one person would be staying overnight. Oddly enough, I am one of those strange people who enjoy cooking for others AND I don't generally care about the overall impression. This means I'm very adaptable, but meals can be hit or miss :-) Hence, my menu ended up being a little...unique, but it was workable.

I made a vegetable curry from the Everyday Food magazine (which I realized after the fact did not have any actual curry in it). This was a partially embarrassing thing since one of the guests was born and raised in India. It tasted alright, but wasn't anything special. Along with the dish masquerading as curry was homemade bread and jam, as usual (I love my freezer!) and a BLT salad that turned out to be the star of the meal! It was tasty, quick (from Taste of Home's Quick Cooking magazine), and tasted like the real deal :-) Enjoy this yummy summer dish. (Again, lucky for my freezer, I had a yummy Grapefruit Berry Sorbet in the freezer for dessert.)

BLT Salad

  • 4 bacon strips, diced
  • 4 cups spring mix salad greens
  • 1 medium tomato, chopped
  • 1/2 cup cubed cheddar cheese
  • 1/3 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup salad croutons
In a skillet or microwave, cook bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels. In a salad bowl, combine the greens, tomato and cheese. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Sprinkle with bacon and croutons. Yield: 4 servings.

Side note: The overnight guest (an older Mennonite gentleman) informed me that he could tell I grew up on the farm because I had a guest room already ready to go, I knew how to "deal with" 4-5 dozen peaches (make jam, preserve, etc.), and I was so willing to be hospitable and host him. :-) Not sure how that makes me a farm girl, but I'll take a compliment, either way :-) Thanks for setting a good example, Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment