Monday, May 17, 2010

Lovin' Luscious Lemon


The other night, when supper group was at my house, I was going to make caramel flan for Marilyn for mother's day, since I know she loves flan. So, since it had to chill overnight, I started on it the night before. The first step was to melt 1/2 cup of sugar on the stove. I followed the directions exactly, and by the time I put it in the dish, it was a block of sugar, which I then had to pick-axe out. I thought, well, I must have done something wrong and tried again.

After chipping the second brick of sugar out of the dish, I decided to bail and do something different, so I made Lemon Pudding Souffles. It turns out that they are a fantastic use of extra lemons. :-) I made the recipe exactly as stated below, except I multiplied it by 6, since I was cooking for 12 people. (However, that much made approximately 16 servings, for the record.) These are excellent straight out of the oven or cold.

Lemon Pudding Souffles

Yield: 2-3 servings

1 egg, separated
1/3 c. sugar
1/3 c. milk
1 T. butter, melted
1 T. flour
dash of salt
2 T. lemon juice
1/2 t. lemon peel, grated

In a small mixing bowl, beat egg yolk until slightly thickened. Gradually add sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in the milk, butter, flour, and salt. Stir in lemon juice and peel.

In a small mixing bowl, beat egg white until stiff peaks form. With a spatula, stir a fourth of the egg white into lemon mixture until no white streaks remain. Fold in remaining egg white until combined.

Divide between two ungreased 6-oz ramekins or custard cups. Place in an 8 in. square baking dish; add 1 in. of hot water to the square dish.

Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, or until tops are golden brown. If desired, sprinkle with coarse sugar and garnish with mint and/or pansies. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment