Thursday, August 11, 2011

Summer Grilling Goodness

It's August, which means we're midway through the dead of summer, with about a month to go. This also means that at this point, we're getting tired of salad and watermelon. Ok, I take it back, I can never get tired of watermelon, but we're definitely in need of some variety in the diet. Hence, when I ran across this quinoa salad from Canadian Living magazine on a blog, I thought it sounded like an excellent change of pace (along with some egg salad). However, since I was not paying attention when I grocery shopped, I had to make do with what I had (no big surprise). So, my version is a tiny bit modified (as described below). 

Grilled Vegetable Quinoa Salad with Chipotle Vinaigrette 
Salad: 
1 c. quinoa, uncooked
2 bell peppers, quartered
1 zucchini (green or Mexican), cut in 1/2 in. thick strips, lengthwise
4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced in diagonal 1 in. chunks
1/2 c. goat cheese, crumbled
3 T. cilantro, chopped

Chipotle Vinaigrette
3 T. olive oil
2 T. red wine vinegar
1 canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
2 t. honey
1/2 t. cumin
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper

1. Boil quinoa in 2 c. salted water for 12 minutes. Remove from heat, fluff with fork and let sit for 15 minutes. 
2. Meanwhile, whisk together vinaigrette ingredients and set aside. 
3. In large bowl, toss peppers, zucchini, carrots and 3 T. vinaigrette together until coated. Place on greased grill over medium heat, and grill until charred and tender (between 8-115 minutes, depending on the size of the vegetable chunk). Cut into large chunks and return to bowl. 
4. Add remaining dressing, quinoa, cheese, and cilantro. Stir to combine. Serve immediately. 
Serves 6.




No comments:

Post a Comment