Sunday, April 12, 2009

Ahhh...relaxation!

[I meant to publish this Sunday, but I didn't get to add the recipe till later.]

Man, I love holidays. Especially the ones that involve ham! :-) It started out as a very busy day, but has since relaxed considerably. Today started with Ben and I getting up at 5:30 to get ready to go to the sunrise service at North Mountain park, which was beautiful, as usual. It rained yesterday, and so the desert smelled wonderful :-) After that, I went straight to church for a 7:30 rehearsal, changed, and played at the 8:30 service. Then I had a nice Easter brunch at church, chatted for a while with the many people there for Easter Sunday, and then played at the 11:00 service.

After that, we went home, changed, picked up the dogs and the food, and headed over to Ben's parents' house for a lovely Easter dinner. After enjoying pound cake and strawberries, I sat down on a pool lounge chair and napped with the sun warming my legs, and a gentle breeze keeping me comfy. That was definitely the high point of my day. It was a very lovely day :-)

My assignment for Easter dinner (which I picked) was to bring bread and dessert. I made a kind of bread I hadn't made for a long time, called Golden Cake Bread from my home church's cookbook. It is very soft, and just a little bit sweet. Best of all, it doesn't involve any kneading! :-) See what you think! [Ben informed me after the fact that he thought this was too sweet for eating with dinner, but I disagree.]

Golden Cake Bread

1. pkg. yeast
1/4 c. warm water
1 c. scalded milk
1/2 c. butter or shortening
1/2 c. sugar
2 beaten eggs
2 t. vanilla
1 t. salt
4-4 1/2 c. sifted flour

Soften yeast in warm water. Combine scalded milk, butter and sugar in large bowl. Cool to lukewarm. Stir in eggs, vanilla, salt and yeast. Gradually add flour, beating well after each addition. Cover and let rise till doubled (1 hour). Turn batter dough into 2 well-greased 9x5 inch loaf pans. Let rise 1 hour. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Cool and wrap in foil. May be frozen. Yield: 2 loaves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment