Sunday, October 3, 2010

Breakfast for Supper

As a kid, the only time I ever saw my dad cook anything was when he made pancakes for breakfast (or dinner or supper). In fact, he made them so often, that I couldn't eat pancakes until I was 17 or 18. The issue was not their syrupy sweetness, the issue was the frequency. Syrup is, in fact, one of my favorites, especially on French Toast, just not multiple times a week.

As luck would have it, my husband loves breakfast food (for any meal), and last week was time for some comforting breakfast-for-supper food, so I busted out a pancake recipe from the first couple I lived with when I moved to Phoenix. They hit the spot that night, and hopefully they will for you too. If you need to call it healthy, there's even some fruit mixed in :-)

Puff Pancakes

(serves 2-3)

3 eggs
3/4 c. milk
3/4 c. flour
1/2 t. salt

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Beat eggs, milk, flour and salt till smooth. In a heavy 12-inch skillet or 9 inch pie plate, melt 1-2 T. butter, then pour batter over skillet. Bake 15 minutes, lower temperature to 350 degrees. Bake 10 more minutes.

Filling:
1 lb apples or peaches, peeled and diced
1/4 c. butter, melted
1/4 c. sugar
cinnamon
nutmeg

While pancake is baking, saute apples or peaches in butter, sugar, and cinnamon/nutmeg to taste. Place pancake on serving dish, add apples to 1/2 of pancake. Fold over and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment