Sunday, October 10, 2010

Chili Weather!


This week has FINALLY heralded the arrival of fall in Arizona. A week ago,the temperature was hovering around 108 degrees for a high. Now, highs average in the low to mid 90s, with nights in the 60s. We can finally keep our doors and windows open at night! What brought this sudden change of temperature? A gigantic storm, that the Valley is still recovering from.

On Tuesday, the first big cell hit around noon, when the power went out at my school for the rest of the afternoon. I left school at 3, when it was sunny and starting to clear a bit. I was psyched for cooler temps and so I decided to take the dogs for a walk. By the time I got all of their leashes and whatnot ready to go, it had started to rain. However, at this point, there was no turning back, so we went around the block and got rained on. Unfortunately, the last third of
the block, we got drenched. So, upon return, I just decided to give Nimbus a bath since we were both soaking already anyway.

When I finally put on warm clothes and dried off, I was psyched to get my chili on. One of my FAVORITE things is to be inside and warm and cozy while the weather outside is wet and nasty (needless to say this doesn't happen all that often in Phoenix, so I enjoy it when I can). Hence, while I was making this chili, I put on some John Coltrane and enjoyed myself. Admittedly, the valley was getting pounded with hail at this point, (including our garden! see pic) and I knew many people weren't happy, but I was enjoying myself for the time being, at least.

I adore this chili though because it's got a great almost smoky flavor from the bacon and the beans. It is not a mild chili, but not burn-your-mouth chili. You might call it medium :-) But
you can adjust that with the amount of chili powder you put in. It's great served with cornbread. Hope you like it!

Black Bean Salsa Chili

2 cans black beans, drained, rinsed, and divided
2/3 c. water
1 T. brown sugar
1/2 lb. ground turkey
1 c. sweet onion, chopped
1/2 c. chopped green pepper
1/2 c. chopped red pepper
3 slices bacon, chopped
1 1/2 T. chili powder
1 T. cumin
1 t. dried oregano
1/8 t. crushed red pepper
1 1/2 c. mild salsa
3 T. tomato paste
1 14 oz. can beef broth
1/2 c sour cream
1/4 c. cilantro, chopped
1 t. lime juice

1. Combine 1 1/2 c. beans, 2/3 c. water, and sugar in a food processor and process until smooth. Combine bean puree and remaining beans in a bowl.

2. Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add turkey and cook until browned, stirring to crumble. Remove turkey from pa.

3. Add onion, bell peppers, and bacon to pan. Cook 5 minutes or until bacon and onion are lightly browned. Return turkey to pan. Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, and crushed red pepper to pan; stir well to coat. Stir in bean mixture, salsa, tomato paste, and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes.

4. Combine sour cream, cilantro, and lime juice in a small bowl. Serve chili with sour cream mixture.

Yield: 5-6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment