Sunday, October 31, 2010

Grand prize winner!


I wish it was me who won the grand prize, but I'm glad the lady in Taste of Home won a grand prize for this recipe, because it was fantastic. However, the hassle it caused me was less than fantastic.

I had a busy week this week and so I found some recipes that would use the slow-cooker, or could be started the night before. This was one. So, one night after cleaning up supper, I started this soup, basically thinking I just had to boil some beans to get it started. Contrary to my expectations, it ended up that I basically made the whole soup, which then simmered on the stove for 2 hours, before going into the fridge until supper the next day.

Since I wanted to go to bed and was worn out from making two meals in a row, I had Ben put it in the fridge before he went to bed an hour later. I was just about asleep when I hear cursing and things crashing to the floor. I go out to the kitchen, preparing to be furious that my whole evening's worth of work (and next day's supper) were now ruined. Luckily, it was just a container of liquid that had spilled while he was trying to adjust shelves to make the soup pot fit, though still not fun to clean up at 11:30 at night. Thankfully, the soup was fine, (my beauty sleep was less than fine) and the next day, it was hot and ready to go for supper, when I got home late. And, I don't know about you, but I think ham (I used chopped ham, not a ham bone) is an excellent addition to pretty much anything :-)

Click HERE for the recipe to Ham & Bean Chowder.


No comments:

Post a Comment