Sunday, March 1, 2009

Good news!!

One of my co-workers (a redhead) walks into the lounge everyday and starts with some variation of "big news guys!" or "good news! " or "bad news!" You never know what it's going to be, but there's always news from her. Usually, it's something along the lines of, "My kids are idiots! They don't get perimeter! Who doesn't get perimeter!?!" So, basically, her version of news is far less dramatic than she makes it. But she's a redhead, she can't help it. We love her anyway :-)

ANYwhosy-howsy (as another co-worker says), my good news this weekend is that I can make my favorite bread recipe with double the water and it still works. I know, not as dramatic as you were hoping. Get over it. I was making the oatmeal bread (see below) from More With Less (one of a very few other recipes that I make repeatedly) while I was talking with my parents on the phone. Not only was I making the recipe, I was doubling it. However, I always double, so I didn't think this would be a problem.

Enter "problem." As I was measuring the yeast, a brief trace of a thought occurred to me that it seemed like I was adding a lot of water compared to normal. However, I was talking on the phone at the time and trying not to drop the cell phone in a sink of water (yes, it's happened) so I didn't give this much thought. When I'd finished putting in my 10 cups of flour and still needed at least 2 more cups, I decided I better double-check my doubling. Sure enough, I quadrupled the water instead of doubling it. Oops. At this point, everything was mixed, kneaded and rising, and the time, energy and ingredients invested were too great, so I just hoped for the best. (To be honest, this is what I hope for every time I make bread. I cross my fingers and hope that it will rise!)

Two hours later, it turned out just fine! :-) Way to go More With Less for having a forgiving recipe! (This time, after 5 years of making this recipe, I finally wrote in the doubled amounts, so as not to tempt the forgiveness of the recipe too much!)

Oatmeal Bread

Makes 2 loves
Combine in a large bowl:
1 c. quick oats,
1/2 c. whole wheat flour,
1/2 c. brown sugar,
1 T. salt,
2T. Butter


Pour over:
2 c. boiling water

Stir in to combine.

Dissolve:
1 pkg dry yeast (=2 1/4 t.)
1/2 c. warm water
;
When batter is cooled to lukewarm, add yeast mixture.

Stir in:
5 c. white flour

When dough is stiff enough to handle, turn onto floured board and knead 5-10 minutes. Place in greased bowl, cover and let rise until doubled. Punch down and let rise again. Shape into 2 loaves and place in greased 9x5x3" pans. Allow to rise 30-45 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-40 minutes. Cool on rack, brushing loaves with butter for a soft crust.



2 comments:

  1. hey you...what are you trying to say about us redheads!! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to say redheads put spice in our lives!! :-)

    ReplyDelete